Beach, Books & Baking



I went down to the beach yesterday, alone, and it seems that I was the only one who'd been there for a while. Mine were the only tracks. The sea is completely frozen over now and it was eerily still - just the ducks making any sounds.

I've just finished Jeffrey Archer's 'The Prisoner of Birth' and highly recommend it - he's always good but this one was exceptional. They are making a film of one my favourite books 'The Time Traveller's Wife' - we'll see whether they make a hash of it, but I hope it's good.

Ricky Gervais is on TV here at the moment with his tour 'Out of England' - it's outrageous and hilarious, I'm surprised they don't boo him off the stage in the States...
I'm doing a recipe book for the Canoe Cove WI and made some biscuits (American Scone-like biscuits) that are fantastic and quick..thought I'd share the recipe...btw, I half the ingredients to make a smaller batch (about 12).
Tender Buttermilk Biscuits

You will need-
12 cups all-purpose flour (plain)
1/3 cup baking powder
¾ cup sugar
Salt
1 ½ cups shortening
6 cups buttermilk, plus more for brushing

Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees.

Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl then cut in the shortening. Add the buttermilk and the mixture should be soft dough. Shape the dough into mounds no bigger than a golf ball and place on a baking sheet. Brush the tops with some buttermilk.

Bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees or until lightly browned

Adding cheese during the mix or fruit works well. They are really easy and a very quick alternative to bread. We eat them with red pepper jam, yum.
The boys have got yet another teacher training day off today, and I have to face Wallmart - and I am mostly hating Wallmart...Steve's birthday on Wednesday...need to search for present inspiration...

No comments: