Let it snow...let it snow..let it STOP!

The weather's getting warmer but where will all this snow go? We're allowed to complain about the amount of snow we're getting...because the Islanders are complaining...as long as an Islander has complained first we don't seem like moaning Limeys!

We look like we have rolling hills on our land...the goalposts have disappeared and the snow is higher than the 6ft high chicken coop. There is an unadopted road to the side (which means it doesn't get snow plowed...its as high as the road signs...around 7 ft all the way along.

Here's a photo of Steve at the top of the hill coming towards Canoe Cove...as well as the 10 ft of snow there is a snow-filled 3 ft ditch underneath...unbelievable.



Yesterday morning we had the most fabulous frost - every tree/ bush had a silver fringe on it and the chicken wire looked like lace.






This weekend is supposed to be a tropical 10 degrees...woo hoo...we'll see. there may be floods...I said I wanted a boat.

I've completed the new website for the Canoe Cove Community Association...here's the link

http://www.freewebs.com/canoecove/


I'm just adding stuff to it everyday and the neighbours love it. Some of the extracts are from local books who romanticise their Scottish heritage, and occasionally berates the English - which grates - but I let them carry on as they wish. They don't understand that English commoners also suffered at the hands of the Aristocracy/ Royalty - but there's no point in pursuing the point. On the upside, I've found out all the people who used to live in our farmhouse, which is nice....ours is the oldest house in the Cove - built around 1860.

I've told the Association about Car Boot Sales...renamed Trunk Sales and they are very keen to hold one, we'll most likely hold our first in the Spring. Watch this space...it might be that I have created a revolution! Burberry next...not!

Sam's going skiing with his school at Brookvale today - so I'm going out - I don't want to get the phone call that he's broken a limb...like I did last time! I've told him to PLEASE be careful...but 'Sam the clutz' will no doubt prevail...I hope not, we'll see!

Joe went skating yesterday...but his skates didn't fit - oops - I hadn't thought to check - bad mother! I'll take them and trade them in for another second hand pair today - yes, seriously - skates run to around $250 new, so everyone recycles. Thank god for thrifty islanders!

I made the most gorgeous banana loaf today - if you have some nearly black bananas its fantastic - and so easy...hope that this fares better than my Buttermilk Biscuits, Alma! But this one is the same ingredients as the UK, so it should be fine.

Banana Loaf

1 ¾ cup flour
½ tsp baking soda
1 ½ tsp baking powder
¾ tsp salt
¾ cup white sugar
1 egg (beaten)
¼ cup oil
1 cup mashed bananas (about 3 large bananas)
½ cup milk

Tip: Add walnuts or Chocolate chips for a slightly different texture

Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt & sugar into a bowl.
Combine the egg, oil, bananas and milk and add to the dry ingredients.
Stir until the mixture is well blended.
Put in a loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.


I double the ingredients and bake it in a cake tin (the type where you can remove the sides) and I put pecans on the top...if you are doing the double up, cook for 1 hr 15mins at 350 degrees and then cover with foil, reducing the heat to 200 degrees for another 30 minutes...check the middle is not wet with a skewer and voila! It's delicious hot or cold with butter ( and no indigestion! - which I get with Banana Muffins.) It also looks terrific - very Nigella...!

Still no jobs on the horizon...need something soon or I'll be climbing the walls...or opening my own cafe!

No comments: